Friday, November 28, 2008

The Unconditional Love of a Pet

I have two babies, Mindy our cat and Faith our dog. We’ve had Mindy for just over eight years and she pretty much runs the house. Your typical cat – personality and attitude all wrapped up into one sassy package. She’s beautiful with her blue eyes and creamy brown fur. Mindy is not well these days and I have to take her to the vet today…second time this week. The vet said she may have mild diabetes or she may be suffering from something more serious. He found a large mass in her stomach and x-rays today will help to determine what it is. Her white cell count is down which is not good news.

It’s amazing how our pets know when we need a cuddle or “comforting” from them in some way. Those of you that have pets will know what I’m talking about. They have an unconditional love that I’ve not experienced from any human being. I believe that they can be filled with the Holy Spirit and can bring us God’s love. Just one of the many ways God lets us know that He is with us and watching over us. This brings me to Faith, my little bundle of joy and energy. She came to me during a difficult time in my life from my friend Carrie. I was inspired to name her Faith to remind me to constantly have Faith that things would work out. I was driving home from work one day and I was praying about my situation and I asked the Lord to help me with this new little puppy. My husband and I were separating and I had so much on my plate, I wasn’t sure if I could handle taking care of a 6 month old puppy. In my conversation with Him I said she didn’t have a name yet and I was struggling with what to call her. Faith immediately came to mind and the reason why and it fit perfectly. From that point on she was Faith. She has brought me such joy over the last year and half. When times were tough and stressful all I had to do is look at her and I was reminded to keep the Faith. Now I enjoying her playfulness and she makes me laugh. She truly is a God sent and a blessing.

Last night at church Rev started a new series on Christmas and asked a question at the end: ‘how does God show us that he cares?’ I believe that blessing us with these animals is one way. The unconditional love that they give us and the healing power that has been shown to exist when people with illness can be around an animal is amazing. God shows us in many ways that he cares; this is just one of them. Lo-Boy also has some thoughts on this question on his blog.

On my grateful list today I would definitely list Mindy and Faith. I am grateful for being at church last night and hearing Rev’s message; for having the time to spend with Ken at church and with my friends; for having a new day today and the freedom to choose how I live it; and for hearing from Kevin that he is still okay in Afghanistan.




1 comment:

Gabby said...

AWWWWWWWWWW!! Your pets are precious!! I'm very sorry about your cat, and you're right, animals always know when your feeling down.